Saturday, January 17, 2009

First try at this

It is a time of change in my business. Newspapers are now much more. We are websites, blogs (hence this effort), multi-media companies and several other things I have yet to understand.

My colleagues and I at The Gazette in Cedar Rapids, Iowa are on the cusp of a major shift in the way we do business and our day-to-day jobs. It's not likely all of us will survive the changes. We're going through many of the same problems facing the rest of the industry. Costs are up, revenues are down. That isn't a good business model.

The difference between our situation and those at other papers is the path being taken. Our CEO, Chuck Peters, is a man of vision. He knows sitting around and waiting for something to happen won't work. His blogs at cpetersia.wordpress.com tell of his vision for the future of Gazette Communications.

Chuck has entrusted leadership roles in this shift to several key people. Sara Sinnard and Audrey Wheeler are leaders of the business end and product development (those may not be the exact titles, but I think I have the right people in the right areas).

The content leader is Steve Buttry, who came to The Gazette after stints with API, the Des Moines Register and the Omaha World-Herald among others. Steve has encouraged the staff from the beginning to explore other areas. In a little over six months, he has introduced me to Twitter, Linked In and Facebook. Those have been helpful for me to connect with colleagues, old friends and new contacts.

Chuck's hiring of Steve was a brilliant move. He has challenged old dogs like me to embrace the new technology. As I stated above, I have branched out some, but I have much to do and am anxious to do so.

Where I will do that learning is still to be determined. My hope is that it will be with this fine company. If not, I will move on to something with no ill-will. I've been blessed in more ways than I realize.

Change is coming to The Gazette. Change has come my way and more is on the way.

This blog is part of the change. Will many read this? Not likely. Is it a good exercise for me? Definitely.

If you find your way to these words, please give me some feedback, either positive or negative. Any ideas you have, pass them on.

It's a brave new world and this is my first step.

2 comments:

  1. Nice read. Yeah, that's about all we can do right now, is dive right in, try all this new stuff out and learn what we can. Two things I've realized during this ongoing process: Complacency cannot exist right now, and fear is a great motivator. (But doesn't this pretty apply to life anyway?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! Keep taking your steps and soon you'll find yourself running. :)

    ReplyDelete