Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The "other job" in sports

People constantly tell me that my job must be so much fun. "Your job is watching and reporting about sports. That must be so cool."

Yes, it is enjoyable, but it is work, no question about it. I love being around the day-to-day ebb and flow in a sports department. Everyday brings something different, and often unexpected.

But there is another side of sports for me. For the last 13 years, I have had a second career that has brought me just as much enjoyment. Back in 1996, a new YMCA opened in Papillion, Neb., where I was living at the time. The Y had been a big part of my life as a kid growing up and when the new facility began hiring, I decided it would be a nice part-time job. The Y had given me so much and the chance to do the same for others was too good to pass up.

Now, 13 years and one move later, I am still dragging myself out of bed at 4:15 each morning to be at the YMCA. I had opened the Cedar Rapids facility every weekday since 2000 until the beginning of the year when I shifted my hours to work later in the day twice a week. But I still come at 5 a.m. to get my workouts in. Some habits are hard to break.

I get a lot of funny looks when I tell people I work until 11:40 each night, only to be back at the Y by 5 a.m. the next day.

The obvious question is: Why?

The simple answer: I enjoy the people. I enjoy their stories. I enjoy their enthusiasm. Most of all: I enjoy what the YMCA represents.

The Y to me has always been about helping people. It is the Y's mission to build a person's spirit, mind and body. I like to believe I help the members with that each day I am here. I hope I build their spirit with a kind comment. I hope I build their mind with any news of the day that I might be able to pass along. And I hope I build their body by encouraging them to stick with a program when it might seem too hard or too tiring.

I meet people from all walks of life. Each day, I associate with lawyers, doctors, educators, former college and pro athletes and numerous other professionals. I see people ranging in age from 6 months to 90 years. I get inspired by all the senior citizens who come daily for exercise. Not only do they inspire with their actions, they also do so with their words. They possess a wealth of wisdom and knowledge, which I have used when I work at The Gazette.

My Y ties will prove valuable in this brave new world of the social media. Establishing contacts and networking are vital to the success in social media. As I have branched out into Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and this blog, I have received several favorable comments from Y members who have connected with me on those platforms.

Each week, I get connected with new people. They know of my work at The Gazette so I receive several comments, pro and con, about the work we do. I also get plenty of suggestions on how we can do things better.

As The Gazette evolves and changes over the next couple months, I will look to cultivate these relationships even more. I have a great resource at my disposal. The Y is a people place and a good social network needs people to make it work. People visiting the Y when I work in the morning are driven. To get up at 5 a.m. for a workout shows their commitment. They are always looking to know more. I can be that source for them.

My love of sports has always run deeper than the big events. The Y isn't about stars. It is about the people.

People I have come to know and respect.

Like those people tell me, "Your job must be so cool."

It is, just as "cool" as my other one.

2 comments:

  1. Besides sheer awe, the only comment I have is, "no really, when *do* you sleep?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a good napper in the afternoons. Without them, I'd have no shot

    ReplyDelete